If you're reading this (you are reading this, right?) odds are good that you have no recollection of pre-Castro Cuba beyond what you saw in The Godfather, Part II. So today, we bring you a list of ten songs inspired by the news that the man is stepping down after a half-century of iron-fisted control.
1. "Sister Havana," Urge Overkill
2. "Have a Cigar," Pink Floyd
3. "Hit the Road, Jack," Ray Charles
4. "(I Live for) Cars and Girls," The Dictators
5. "Cuban Slide," The Pretenders
6. "Havana Moon," Chuck Berry
7. "Revolution Rock," The Clash
8. "(Sittin' on the) Dock of the Bay (of Pigs)," Otis Redding
9. "Guerrilla Radio," Rage Against the Machine
10. "Fidelity," Todd Rundgren
Got more? Leave a comment.
What is going on with Urge Overkill? I heard "Sister Havana" Friday AND Saturday on my local NPR AAA station and then a different UO song on the same station today. Now this mention. Big Plate o' Shrimp.
I thought I heard UO's "The Candidate" out of the corner of my ear on XPN on Tuesday. You don't hear that every day (or every year, for that matter).
forget urge overkill - i have known only two people who ever did, much less continue to, quote that particular gem from repo man, and neither was named don.
Post a Comment