Friday, May 23, 2008

Rock me out to the ballgame

Scott McCaughey. Steve Wynn. Peter Buck. Linda Pitmon. Sounds like an indie rock supergroup, and it is, of sorts. Meet The Baseball Project, a band assembled to record rocking original tunes by Wynn and McCaughey, all devoted to the national pastime and its great and colorful characters, like Satchel Paige, Ted Williams, Curt Flood and Fernando Valenzuela. The album, Volume 1: Frozen Ropes and Dying Quails, will be out on July 8. You can listen for free here. Make sure to check out "The Death of Big Ed Delahanty," the greatest garage rock song ever dedicated to a 19th Century major league power hitter.

1 comment:

Andy Whitman said...

Unfortunately, I like the idea better than I like the execution. I didn't find much memorable in the music, although the notion of am old, overlooked, embittered Ted Williams crying out "I'm Ted Fucking Williams" is pretty delightful. It's a round-tripper for the lyrics, a lazy pop fly for the music.