Wednesday, October 18, 2006

349 to 300

349. A Tribe Called Quest

T: I’m no rap expert, but these guys deserve kudos for trying to create intelligent, socially conscious songs that were in strict defiance of the “thug life”. Start with The Low End Theory and see for yourself.

M: These guys hit me where I live, with funky flowin’ beats topped by ultra-clever raps. You do own The Low End Theory, don’t you?


348. Susan Tedeschi

T: Susan Tedeschi - The Melissa Ethridge of blues-rock lite.

M: Love her work with Martin & Wood.


347. Diana Ross & the Supremes

T: Their string of 17 Top 10 pop hits is unparalleled by any female artist. Time has actually undervalued this uber-smooth girl pop… the American Beatles.

M: The original divas, and maybe still the best. In this world, there are few things better than “Come See About Me,” and “Up the Ladder to the Roof” is one of them.


346. Fountains of Wayne

T: 3 albums in 10 years… that’s a lazy weekend for Ryan Adams. But these three records contain consistently bright, sunny, witty power pop… the kind that rewards repeat play. The American Beatles.

M: Scary good. Robbie Fulks pretty much nailed my image of them, four geniuses in lab coats concocting perfect songs and unleashing them on the world.


345. Supertramp

T: Supertramp ahead of the Supremes? Only alphabetically… Crime of the Century.

M: When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical. And all the birds in the trees, well they’d be singing so happily, joyfully, playfully watching me. But then Supertramp came on the radio and ruined my childhood.


344. Snow Patrol

T: Amiable, earnest hard-working Irish lads… that I’m sure I couldn’t pick out of a lineup, but they’re somebody’s all-time favorite…so good on ya mates.

M: Their name reminds me of that scene in the second (or was it the third?) Star Wars movie where Luke slices open that big, stinky animal and crawls inside, which is pretty much what I want to do when these guys come on the radio. Oh, I kid. They’re all right.


343. Leo Kottke

T: Guitar virtuoso with about 200 albums… and I’ve never heard one of them.

M: I sort of stumbled into one of his shows years ago, and it was a damned good time. His storytelling is rivaled only by his mind-blowing acoustic guitar playing.


342. Judy Collins

T: Sweet Judy Blue Eyes.

M: I come from several generations of white people, and I’ve never met anybody as white as this. Pretty voice, though.


341. David Bromberg

T: He’s probably a great musician with tons of local fans, so I kinda hate saying this… every time one of his songs comes on the radio, I can’t turn it off fast enough.

M: I was introduced to him by a Philly ex-pat, and there’s no getting around his charm. Plus, he gets style points for providing the Beasties a sample.


340. Herbie Hancock

T: I totally dig that “Rockit” video… you want more, check in with the dude below.

M: Putting aside his work with Miles, Herbie’s elegant early solo turns would be enough to justify this spot, but when he went electric – Headhunters destroys me – he shot through the stratosphere.


339. Kansas

T: I took my little brother to see Kansas, his favorite band at the time, perform at the Spectrum. Besides seeing pot for the first time, he also caught up on his sleep. Me… that was 2 hours I’ll never get back.

M: I know XPN program director Bruce Warren reads this blog, and now I think he’s just messing with us. I live three miles away from the state that gave this band its name, and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t drive a Camaro who can stand this faux-prog dreck.


338. World Party

T: With a major Beatles jones, Karl Wallinger’s string of gorgeous pop vignettes have outstripped that of his former band the Waterboys. No small feat.

M: Karl Wallinger’s apprenticeship in the Waterboys served him well, as he scaled back some of that band’s early grand gestures to create a streamlined (but not slick) brand of modern rock that pays tribute to the music’s best traditions.


337. Gillian Welch

T: Well steeped in country music’s long and glorious history, Gillian Welch has carved out an almost under-the-commercial-radar existence with four superb records. This is the kind of music people complain doesn’t get made anymore.

M: More an admirer than a fan, I think Welch adopts America’s folk traditions with an authenticity few of her peers can match.


336. Judy Garland

T: “Over the Rainbow” never fails to give me chills… and I really think I need to check out more of her stuff. Recommendations?

M: I’m looking ahead two spots and not quite believing my eyes.


335. The Decemberists

T: A little early in their career to be this high. And I’ve only heard Picaresque and The Crane Wife… but Colin Meloy’s sharp, literate, sophisticated nerd-pop seems like it’ll be around for awhile.

M: Colin Meloy writes songs so you don’t have to read books, and he deserves a Pulitzer.


334. Eva Cassidy

T: I can’t help feeling that without the tragic backstory that Ms. Cassidy would not have appeared on this countdown. But I’m happy to occasionally hear her on the radio.

M: I’ll confess, I don’t quite get it. I know she had a lovely voice, but any given night in any number of bars across America, there are gifted songbirds with acoustic guitars giving impressive readings of “Over the Rainbow” and “Fields of Gold,” and I’m glad about it. I’ll just assume that she stands as a proxy for all the hard-working women who play for a cut of the door, and leave it at that.


333. Cowboy Junkies

T: I was surprised after all the acclaim how little I liked The Trinity Session. But I did go see them once because John Prine was opening. Prine was fab (as usual) but the Junkies had me snoozing 5 songs in. I wake up, grab my date, and head three rows back to see what’s up with my brother, also there with date. Dude is fast asleep… I love my brother.

M: At first it seemed inspired, but now it sounds like formula. Or maybe they’re just fatigued.


332. Neutral Milk Hotel

T: : Leading light in the Elephant 6 collective, NMH’s In The Aeroplane Over the Sea is a lo-fi mini-masterpiece. For all you wringing your hands over this selection… you deserve all the Mason Jennings, Jonah Smiths and Five For Fightings you get.

M: Probably the most prominent indie band that I have almost no sense of. I know I’m supposed to own the Aeroplane album, but I don’t.


331. My Bloody Valentine

T: Since Kansas, it seemed we moved over to critics darlings’ row. I bought Loveless and it totally left me cold. Hopefully Michael has distilled their essence as I come up painfully short.

M: I own the indispensable album and I’ve seen them live, but they don’t turn me on much. Some bands (see artist 309) use atmospherics to enhance songs; others allow the atmosphere to become the songs. For me, far too often, MBV falls into the latter category.


330. ABBA

T: No. No. No. Not a guilty pleasure. Exuberant, sparkling performances from Sweden’s only trillion selling rock band are pure pop for all people. And is their a sexier name in rock then Agnetha Faltskog? Hubba Hubba.

M: Cast stones if you must, but these guys produced so many massive, lush melodies as to gain my unapologetic endorsement.


329. Stevie Nicks

T: The least of Fleetwood Mac, I can’t think of one of her solo singles that I’m happy to hear. Maybe “Stop Dragging My Heart Around”… but that’s prolly because of Petty. Gypsy mumbo jumbo.

M: When she’s singing with or about Lindsey Buckingham, she can be transcendent. When she’s not, she can be virtually translucent.


328. The Pretenders

T: This one’s a head scratcher. I know there are a million groups and we all have our little favorites. But this is the Pretenders! Ya know…. “Precious”, “Mystery Achievement”, “Message of Love”, “Brass In Pocket”… those Pretenders! Is Chrissie the greatest female rocker ever? My short list only has Chrissie, Patti and Joan on it. And ‘cause I can’t stop babbling… how about James Honeyman-Scott? Keee-rist!

M: Rather than kvetch about the fact that they’re about 250 places (at least) too low, let’s marvel at what this band was before Jimmy and Pete succumbed to the junk. Punk spirit, glam savvy, jazz chops, and songs for miles, with the sassiest, smartest, toughest woman in rock and roll out front. You think they care where they rank in some silly poll? Not them, baby, they’re too precious, so %@#$ off.


327. The Roots

T: Is it just because they’re local heroes that they seem to be hip-hop giants? I don’t think so. Special mention…?uestlove’s fro.

M: Finally a Philly act that rises above local hero status. ?uestlove is the reason I’m the only white guy in the KC suburbs who wears a pick in his hair. (ed. – maybe we really do share a brain)


326. Django Reinhardt

T: What Michael said.

M: Imagine, you’re hanging with Hemingway in Paris, circa A Moveable Feast, and the marquee says “Reinhardt and Grappelli, One Night Only,” and you slide into a smoky club, and you witness nothing less than the birth of the modern guitar.


325. 311

T: If what I heard on the radio is indicative of their sound, they placed exactly 17,438 places too high.

M: Lukewarm Chili Peppers. Let’s pretend this is Fishbone instead.


324. Fugazi

T: One of the few hardcore concerts I ever saw… religious. Ian MacKaye lives it every day… from the shows, the records, Dischord. Maybe Tower Records should have hired him.

M: Hardcore, with its limitations and stridency, isn’t my favorite thing, but these guys are the top of the heap.


323. Rosanne Cash

T: Living in a giant shadow, Roseanne has consistently rewarded listeners with thoughtful, compelling, bittersweet slices of Americana.. No nepotism here.

M: I’ve had it bad for her since Interiors.


322. Son Volt

T: Yep… Trace. “Tear Stained Eye” and “Windfall” may be the two best songs to come our of post-Parsons alt country. For a brief spell I thought they might rise up to snatch the Bands’s Americana throne , but after Trace it’s a steep drop.

M: There was a time when I thought that this would be my favorite band for fifteen years. And though subsequent albums failed to live up to the initial promise, Trace remains at or near the pinnacle of alt.country recordings.


321. Bruce Hornsby

T: Loves hoops and once took Iverson one-on-one, but I hear mostly MOR AOR. Demerit for inspiring Marc Cohn.

M: I was on the phone last fall with a guy, trying to schedule my gutter cleaning. We settled on a date, and he said “that’s Bruce Hornsby’s birthday.” You don’t get that kind of dedication to Hornsby from just any gutter cleaner.


320. Chris Smither

T: Folk blues staple whose songs never fail to grab my attention on the radio… so how come I don’t know more? Shame on me.

M: Excelllllllent, Smither.


319. George Gershwin

T. An American icon. You know his songs – “Fascinating Rhythm”, “Let’s Call The Whole Thing Off”, Rhapsody in Blue”. Sublime stuff.

M: I like New York in June and a Gershwin tune, how about you?


318. Keane

T: I love their first record…. but what are they doing here? They slide outside 885 in five years.

M: The resounding apathy that greeted the band’s recent second release makes you wonder whether voters are suffering from the same problems as Tom Chaplin.


317. Strawbs

T: MMR Rocks dude! XPN djs stuff the ballot box and show their roots.

M: Strawg rock.


316. The String Cheese Incident

T: Weeps silently and pleads… no more jam bands with half baked songs. Please.

M: So I say to my wife, “What do I write about the Sting Cheese Incident?” “Is that a band?” she asks. “Unfortunately, yes,” I reply.


315. Dave Brubeck

T: Even a jazz novice like me knows greatness when he hears it. Bravo!

M: He’s an artist, a pioneer, we’ve got to have some music on the new frontier.


314. Echo & the Bunnymen

T: Erratic cult post-punk gloomy gusses with a handful of classic college rock staples – “The Cutter”, “Ocean Rain” and “The Killing Moon” tops among them.

M: Band of mope and dreams.


313. Love

T: A friend made me buy Forever Changes about 15 years ago. Called it a baroque, psych-pop masterpiece or some other hoo-ha. He was right.

M: This was Arthur Lee’s band, so why can I only remember the song that Brian MacLean wrote?


312. Liz Phair

T: Lo-fi indie gutter mouth prom queen exploded onto the scene with the lavishly praised Exile in Guyville, an early 90’s landmark. Hasn’t come close since.

M: Momentarily brilliant, it’s been a steady decline since Exile in Guyville. Still, “Divorce Song” remains the best portrayal of the utter aloneness that two people can experience together.


311. Enya

T: It is my firm belief that the former Eithne Ni Bhraonan got one over on us.

M: Sure, it’s musical wallpaper, but the girls like it.


310. The Killers

T: Their new record answers the question “What if Jim Steinman had produced Billy Falcon?”

M: He doesn’t look a thing like Jesus, and try as he might, he doesn’t write a thing like Springsteen.


309. Yo La Tengo

T: Former critics turned critics’ darlings, I favor their airy, left of center pop nuggets that are sprinkled throughout their now 20 year career. The indie guitar skronk I could do without.

M: I’ve been a fan for a long time. Just when you think they’re going to float into space, Georgia Hubley cracks the snare and gravity kicks in.


308. Dan Fogelberg

T: If James Taylor rocks it a little too hard for you, cue up some Fogelberg.

M: Ban Fogelberg.


307. Arlo Guthrie

T: Able to escape his father’s legend, Arlo has forever enhanced Thanksgiving. “You can get anything you want, At Alice’s Restaurant… excepting Alice.

M: Everybody’s favorite hippie. I bet not a day goes by that someone doesn’t ask him to say “the New York State Throughway’s closed, man.”


306. The B-52’s

T: Party band of the millennium, they crossed 60’s girl pop with dancey new wave rhythms. Roam if you want to.

M: In their second act, they evolved into a palatable party band, but before, with the late Ricky Wilson scratching his guitar till it bled, they were a rhythmic powerhouse.


305. The Cars

T: Massively successful New England, New Wave band with more hits than Google. That Ric Ocasek is one lucky so and so.

M: On the three albums before they made their big mainstream move, this band cranked out songs that remain disarmingly good, with harmonies to die for. “Double Life” is a forgotten classic.


304. The O’Jays

T: Philly soul with a message… Gamble and Huff’s finest hour. Climb on the “Love Train” y’all.

M: O’Yeah!


303. Pete Yorn

T. Musicforthecasualrockfanwhovotedthisguyinthishigh.

M: Yorn not going to believe this, but Pete placed twenty-five spots ahead of the Pretenders.


302. Bon Jovi

T: “Shot through the heart, And you’re to blame, You give polls a bad name… bad name.”

M: Back in 1987, I had an indie rocker female acquaintance who swore to me that these guys were the new Cheap Trick. And if she meant they’d never record another memorable tune after their fourth album, I guess she was right.


301. Emmylou Harris

T: A harmony singer without peer, Emmylou has enjoyed a deserved late career renaissance starting with 1995’s Wrecking Ball. Those 70’s records are pretty fab too.

M: The voice that launched a thousand ships, and the sexiest head of gray hair I’ve ever seen. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like her.


300. Josh Ritter

T: Riding high on a career making Animal Years (one of 2006’s best), Josh Ritter stands poised for stardom. My favorite Josh on the countdown.

M: I’m not quite as sold on Ritter as my writing companion, but he’s clearly on an ascending path.

16 comments:

BreezeCJ said...

I thought you'd like to know that Snow Patrol does a pretty decent cover version of The Undertone's "Teenage Kicks".

True Keto Boost said...

Most ADDers love to snicker, and numerous likewise have a talent for making others giggle! Well known entertainers, for example, Whoopi Goldberg and Robin Williams are reputed to have Include.

Keto Vita X Burn said...

While the manipulation of embryonic cells is restricted and controversial, a greater chance to develop engineered tissues from iPSC is viable for the medical interventions in serious conditions. And this is often the underlying reasonTrue Keto Boost , why public and society demand for more clinical trials of somatic cell based therapies and their applications within the medical fields.

https://bit.ly/2uxEPyQt
https://listofdiet.com/True-Keto-Boost/

Botanica Pure Keto said...

Common signs of over-training include overuse injuries, insomnia, fatigue, prolonged recovery from workouts, and general disinterest in exercise. Rest and recovery Botanica Pure Keto are vital for achieving gains and preventing burnout.Never change your workout routine.

https://listofdiet.com/botanica-pure-keto/

https://bit.ly/39v51Zw

Botanica Pure Keto said...

Back in October 2004, the us lost almost half its expected 100 million doses of the flu vaccine, which prompted the Centers for Disease Botanica pure keto Control and Prevention to encourage recommendations to every state, suggesting that doses of the vaccine be restricted to high-risk groups only. However, it's becoming apparent that perhaps this "panic attack" was a touch too dramatic.
https://listofdiet.com/botanica-pure-keto/

https://bit.ly/39v51Zw

Vibrant Source Keto said...

Lipid Profile. Finally, confirm you schedule a routine biopsy a minimum of every 12 months to urge your lipids checked. From these results, you'll determine your risk for the metabolic syndrome, which may be a condition characterized by Vibrant Source Keto we've often heard of fractures and dislocation of bones in children. But dislocation or fracture of bones in growing children are completely different that of in adults.
https://listofdiet.com/vibrant-source-keto/
https://bit.ly/39KbRL3

Anonymous said...

Once you've got developed your schedule, make it a routine. People with ADD often work well with this type of structure. you'll change the activities Vibrant Source Keto you propose for every night, as long as you stick with the fundamentals . Get your body and mind wont to winding down within the evenings, and you'll just end up falling asleep easier at night!

https://listofdiet.com/vibrant-source-keto/
https://bit.ly/39KbRL3

Zen Green CBD said...

There are some terms and explanations that you simply got to be familiar to know disposable contact lenses.Disposable Contact Lenses - they're discarded and replaced Zen Green CBD after fortnight if not sooner.
https://listofdiet.com/Zen-Green-CBD/

https://bit.ly/2SVR28t

Zen Green CBD said...

The first technique my therapist used was a Thai massage. She stretched my legs bent allow her to "work" my muscles. Then Lorraine visited work with a troublesome Swedish massage . She kneaded and "stripped" my hamstrings and Zen Green CBD calves. I could tell that she was working hard and putting her whole weight into the massage.
https://listofdiet.com/Zen-Green-CBD/

https://bit.ly/2SVR28t

https://www.facebook.com/zengreencbd/

Zen Green CBD said...

they're those who, on a day to day , are faced with Zen Green CBD the overwhelming misery of the people, and are very conscious of the small time they're ready to give each individual. They feel as if their hands are tied, while the burnout period for them also becomes shorter thanks to the depressing situation.
https://listofdiet.com/Zen-Green-CBD/

https://bit.ly/2SVR28t

https://www.facebook.com/zengreencbd/

True Keto Boost USA said...

Trampoline exercises also help in cleansing your body more Delta Tone Keto efficiently. The body of waste and toxins is controlled by the systema lymphaticum . It carries all the waste, toxins, bacteria and other unwanted substances out of the body. Higher g-forces help stimulate the systema lymphaticum therefore, a trampoline is very useful for better functioning of the systema lymphaticum .
https://listofdiet.com/delta-tone-keto/
https://bit.ly/3cvwcG7
https://sites.google.com/view/delta-tone-keto-price/home
https://www.facebook.com/DeltaToneKetoReviews/

Lists Of Keto Foods said...

Healthy skin tip # 4 Toss Dermal Pearle Cream
your lotion and supplant it with a Alcohol With No Carbs
protecting cream: Many lotions don't Keto Diet And Blood Pressure
ensure against the reasons for dry skin and have just a single essential objective - to compensate for the dampness that our bodies are losing by including a counterfeit wellspring of dampness. Rather, add a protecting moisturizer to your healthy skin schedule. Dr. Lisa Benest clarifies why protecting creams ought to supplant conventional lotions in your healthy skin normal, "Standard lotions are intended to include dampness onto the skin. Anyway it does nothing to fix the boundary so it's a perpetual pattern of steady dampness application onto the skin without recuperating and relieving the dry skin. Numerous customary creams reestablish the dampness to the skin on a brief premise, yet after proceeded with use really communicate something specific back to the skin saying it needn't bother with any further dampness to be delivered by the skin, thus we can wind up with the contrary condition where the skin is less hydrated than before utilizing the lotions.


https://listofdiet.com/dermal-pearle-cream/
https://listsofketofoods.com/dermal-pearle-cream/
https://sites.google.com/site/dermalpearlecreamreviews/
https://www.facebook.com/Dermal.Pearle.Cream.Reviews/
https://www.facebook.com/events/2623440881271170/

Iq option Master said...

Forex is the most well known and most elevated exchanging market over the globe. Consistently a huge number of individuals are pulled in to Forex exchanging to increase snappy cash. This over the counter exchanging including the iqoption significant monetary forms is somewhat precarious yet profoundly beneficial exchange, which needs a decent comprehension of the Forex exchanging. This can be seen by the level of individuals regular, who lose their cash in exchanging because of absence of appropriate information and abilities. This makes the other 5 to 10% of individuals increase tremendous benefits. In any case, with a decent perception, and learning of the Forex exchanging techniques, anybody can make benefits or if nothing else secure their well deserved cash.

Unknown said...

Forex Killer then again is a demonstrated sign generator. It is a demonstrated autopilot, no mystery framework that will likewise assist you with raking tremendous salary.Forex Scams
Forex Killer had been demonstrated to bring in cash even in the most down market. The framework had just wiped out the human mistake. For what reason would you pay for several dollars in month to month expenses to organizations for forex exchanging signals that doesn't any benefits? For what reason would you spend the entire day hanging tight for signals that never come in time and pay for signals which frequently don't bring benefits? What's more, for the most part, why you ought to follow confused exchanging examples and stress yourself with outlines and investigative programming when you can have Forex Killer to give you gainful signs?

forex scams said...

The best Forex exchanging framework is a mix of cash exchanging methodologies that fit your style, disposition, and hazard the executivesforex scams
. There is nobody "best" Forex exchanging system making benefits in the cash markets. Be that as it may, there are numerous amazing frameworks that have been created and are being utilized each exchanging day. Every one was uniquely customized by the individual who is getting a charge out of the gainful outcomes it produces.
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/preview/7397095760093658474/3559026917751616586
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/preview/1426309311185095669/8091174151286469149
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/preview/51344046082836526/3837109097809809679
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/preview/161383710988162635/8579398232505369361
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/preview/1722788577553695591/6281755554959582531
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/preview/2485366427200438240/4451781151851857950
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/preview/6665617918788331121/923219612391662085
https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/preview/7397095760093658474/3559026917751616586

Fat n Fix said...

Improving our fitness requires commitment, consistency, and lifestyle changes. There are no quick fixes or single solutions. Setting incremental, realistic goals is recommended, even if they are starting small. Parking farther away, taking the stairs, or doing squats during TV commercials get us moving in the right direction. Having an exercise partner or trainer provides accountability. Listening to your body helps you avoid overtraining - fatigue and plateaus signal it’s time for a rest day. Patience and self-compassion are warranted on any fitness journey, as progress ebbs and flows. The key is sticking with it over the long haul.