Monday, December 08, 2008

Fifty Years of Popular Songs Condensed Into Single Sentences

They've made a list over at McSweeney's. Some highlights:

Marvin Gaye, "Let's Get It On"
I want to do it with you.

Led Zeppelin, "Whole Lotta Love"
I want to do it with you.

R. Kelly, "I Believe I Can Fly"
I believe I want to do it with you.

Frank Sinatra, "Strangers in the Night"
I'm drunk and I want to do it with you.

Little Richard, "Good Golly Miss Molly"
I'm doing it with Miss Molly, and she's totally into it.

Pulp, "Common People"
I once met a stuck-up European who wanted to do it with me.

Radiohead, "Creep"
I'm filled with self-loathing, and, though outwardly I hate everything you represent, I want to do it with you.

Let's add some of our own, shall we?

Cheap Trick, "I Want You to Want Me"
I want you to want to do it with me.

KISS, "Rock and Roll All Nite"
I want to rock and roll all nite and party every day.

The Kingsmen, "Louie Louie"
I wanna mumja deesel aye-aye-aye.

Bruce Springsteen, "Born to Run"
I want to do it with Mary in the backseat of my hemi-powered machine and then die in a cloud of mist in the shadow of an amusement park.

The Vapors, "Turning Japanese"
I want to do it with myself.

Nick Lowe, "Cruel to Be Kind"
I want to do it with someone nicer than you.

Derek and the Dominoes, "Layla"
I want to do it with George Harrison's wife.

Barry White, all songs
I want to do it with you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom Petty, Don't Do Me Like That
I want to do it with you, but please be nice about it or one day you might have some regrets.

Unknown said...

uh, bruce clearly was seeking to do it with wendy. in that song, anyway.

The Shirelles - "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow"
We're going to do it, just make me feel good about it

Unknown said...

meant to add:

Why Don't We Do It In The Road? (The Beatles)
I feel a strong attraction to you which, at this point, seems to be primarily physical, but I really think it could develop into something. Would you be interested in exploring that possibility with me? In the road?