Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Don Giordano’s Best of 2007

Don Giordano has some of the best ears we know. Anyone who can claim that Elvis Costello and the Attractions was the very first show he saw as a wee small boy can claim a certain cred, and Don has maintained it for three more decades. Here’s the music he liked best in 2007.

1.Okkervil River - The Stage Names (I wish I could tell you what it is I love about this record, but I’m not sure I can. I can tell you that nothing else was seriously considered for number 1.)

2. Grinderman – Grinderman (Raunchy, raw rock & roll as black comedy. Nick frightens and amuses.)

3. Radiohead - In Rainbows (Even w/o the novelty of the internet release an impressive record. It continues the legacy of a band hitting on all cylinders and growing gracefully and aggressively at the same time.)

4. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (I came fairly late to Spoon. I’m just discovering the pre-Gimme Fiction output. Consistently great tunes seems to be the hallmark. This might be the catchiest album of the year.)

5. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky (More grounded than the last two but far from dull. I flat out love this band.)

6. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away (Three in a row. Nice work boys.)

7. Lily Allen - Alright Still (Not one of the 10 best records of the year but THE most fun. That earns it a spot on my list.)

8. White Stripes - Icky Thump (Jack White is a Rock Star. Having the luck to see them live in a relatively small venue certainly helped this record for me. The best songs on here are absolute killers.)

9. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (Heady stuff. I think even the kitchen sink got thrown in and it holds together anyway.)

10. The Good, The Bad and the Queen (The 2nd Gorillaz album opened up a soft spot for Damon and his tricks. Throw in Paul Simonon and Tony Allen and you’ve got some of the best grooves of the year.)

2 comments:

Trip McClatchy said...

Finally... Grinderman.

Anonymous said...

Yo Scott,
Remember me (Joe Troisi) ABC 1979..
http://joetro376.googlepages.com/