Monday, March 03, 2008

Felice Mania


As is my custom, I am currently obsessing over two things - Ursinus basketball (read more here) and The Felice Brothers, who release their first widely distributed cd today. Called simply The Felice Brothers, it's an imperfect mix of death folk, tinkly jazz, hillbilly hoedowns and fragile ballads dripping bad-assitude and a mixture of alternating sweet and menacing vocals. I know that sounds like it might blow, but it doesn't.

These guys are my # 1 priority to see at SXSW (see you in 9 days, Vince) and, oh yeah, did I mention I'm heading to SXSW? Cregs - call me.

Here's two more from the new disc plus a live take of Leadbelly's "Take This Hammer" from last year's Tonight At The Arizona, a low-fi barroom stomp that augers well for a chaotic live show.

Notes: My son does the greatest impression of the first five lines of "Frankie's Gun" and "Love Me Tenderly" has one of the great piano solos ever recorded, complete with brotherly love exhortations. One last thing - you can buy The Felice Brothers from Main Street Music in Manayunk - call them at 215-487-7732 and ask for Pat or Dave. OK... ask for Pat. They're happy to do mail order and the disc is in stock. Tell them Michael sent you.

Frankies Gun mp3

Love Me Tenderly mp3

Take This Hammer (Live) mp3

No comments: