Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The New Boyz Say "You're A Jerk"

My son wants to master The Jerk. I know this for several reasons, chief among them is that he told me so - and he actually practiced this new old dance move made popular by Youtube teen hip-hop sensations The New Boyz. All that is unremarkable until you look at some stats. And understand that the generation gap lives.

I consider myself moderately well-versed in pop culture, but until Friday night I had never heard "You're A Jerk", but the video for this song had been viewed over 30 million times on Youtube. For some perspective, you could start watching that video right now and stop watching in 227 years and you'd match the Youtube views. Hell, even the "making of" video has been viewed over 4 and half million times.

The song itself? Pretty annoying the first time, insanely catchy by the fifth time you've heard it, and then you're willing to try "The Pin Drop". I know I did.

You're a jerk... I know.



New Boyz - You're A Jerk

2 comments:

Ms Suki said...

What? What? What? What?

That will never be catchy. I am afraid that you are delusional.

The dance looks pretty difficult to master. Good luck to your son!

don said...

Kind of reminds me of the skanking we used to do to the Specials, English Beat, Madness, etc. in 1981.