Sunday, December 30, 2007

Scott McClatchy’s Best of 2007

Scott McClatchy is Trip’s little brother and a fine singer/musician/songwriter whose music has been featured here many times. Check out Scott’s handiwork here. Check out his favorite music of 2007 here:

Bruce Springsteen: "Magic" OK … I've heard all the talk about how this is Bruce's return to his 'glory period' (re: The River era). I aint buying it. I think it's a great step forward - and a step that will lead to some really interesting music further on up the road. Ya see, I've been along for the full ride. Yes, the glory years were great. But I loved those acoustic albums, too. I thought the Seeger Sessions stuff was a blast … and the reunion tour proved that there is no other band in the world that can deliver a show like the E Street Band. So along comes “Magic” - great songs, great arrangements and a full tilt E Street Band delivering the goods. “Radio Nowhere” literally kicked the crap out of every other song on the radio this year. “Devils Arcade” - “Last To Die” and the title track all capture the feeling of fear and frustration of living in America today. “Girls In Their Summer Clothes” - “Living In The Future” … everything you hope for in a Springsteen record … it's all there.

John Fogerty - "Revival" Sure, I think “Creedence Song” is a little weak, but pull that from your iPod playlist, and go give this CD another listen. “Gunslinger” & “Broken Down Cowboy” are up there with some of his best work. And it's still fun to listen to this old man who's still traveling down the rock and roll road rip it up with tracks like “I Can't Take It No More”

Sarah Borges And The Broken Singles - "Diamonds In The Dark" Sometimes, I just want to have fun when I listen to music. Well, “Stop And Think It Over” is about as much fun as you can have in 3:01. Some strong songs played by a band that never lets her down.

Steve Earle: "Washington Square Serenade" Steve Earle moves to NYC, discovers a scene that died a few years ago and writes it's eulogy. With an imaginative mix of hip-hop, country and folk, the hardcore troubadour wears his ever-changing moods (and heart) on his sleeve.

I'm Not There: "Soundtrack" I'll admit it, I like “Tribute” CDs. And I like hearing artists interpret one of rock and rolls greatest songwriters. Richie Haven's “Tombstone Blues” and Jeff Tweedy's “Simple Twist Of Fate” are exactly what they should be, honest, heart felt readings that don't stray much from the originals. But Los Lobos bring the carnival to “Billy 1” and I just love the sound of John Doe's voice on “I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine.”

Kendel Carson: "Rearview Mirror Tears" On my 'Best of 2007' CD, I had Kendel's “I Like Trucks” - a song that was dismissed by almost everyone I played it for. I still love that song. But don't judge this great CD by one quirky song. This CD has great “Americana” songs played by folks who know what they're doing, with “Ribbons & Bows” being one of the best 'duet ballads' of the year.

Red Meat: "We Never Close" I first came across this band hearing their version of the great LeRoi Brothers classic, “Pretty Little Light Of Town” on the radio. Found the CD, and it went into heavy rotation. The band does have an identity crisis - the songs are all over the place - but it's a fun road map to follow. Also, the perfectly crafted “Thriftstore Cowgirl” was one of my top ten songs of the year.

Robert Plant/Alison Krauss: "Raising Sand" Do not let the up-tempo “Gone Gone Gone” fool you - this CD is a quiet reflection - a perfect Sunday Morning CD. Released as a “country” CD, these tracks owe more of a debt to the old school country blues than anything you'll hear these days on Nashville radio. T Bone Burnette's production is clear and perfect - letting the voices and the instruments do their thing. And, another great “duet ballad” of 2007: “Your Long Journey.”

Switchfoot: "Gravity" Loud guitars and big choruses … what more do you need to know? Till I heard the title track on a “Paste” sampler, I had never heard of these guys. I did a little research, found out they were 'California Christian emo rockers' - I have no idea what the hell that means, but the first review I read on 'Gravity' compared this CD to Franz Ferdinand and Mott The Hoople … I'm in!!!

Tommy Womack: "There I Said It" Tommy is an acquired taste. Kind of like a mix between Jonathan Richman and Dave Alvin … but sounding absolutely nothing like either of them. Suffering from a musician's mid-life crisis (“I'm never gonna be a rock star … there I said”), Tommy pours out his heart on these tracks, and that can either be interpreted and “confessional” or a whinny assed complainer. Me? I'm siding with “confessional”

1 comment:

EvilWoman said...

Well, well, well. Looky here. Tommy Womack.
Now THAT's a CD I didn't expect to see on anyone else's list around here except for maybe.....mine. A mix of Dave Alvin and Jonathan Richman....agrre! FTR, I also hear more than a bit of Stephen Bruton (The Resentments) in there too.
And then the discussion on Sarah Borges is a whole 'nother thang.
If that girl doesn't hit it big, well then, there's something wrong somewhere. Just. Amazing.