Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Doolittle (Heartbreaker)

Yeah, I watch American Idol, but I never vote, so I can't really complain about what happened tonight. And I suppose it was inevitable, as she's not the youngest/prettiest/hippest competitor on the show. But - holy &*^% - Melinda Doolittle can sing. Over the three seasons I've watched, she's the best singer AI has had, and I don't think it's close. She took on songs by Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston and Tina Turner - all the heavies the judges warn against - and owned them. I'm actually kind of sad that we won't be able to see what she could have done on the mammoth stage of the final. But I'm relatively confident that we'll be able to buy her debut album by this time next year. I've never bought an AI alum's record before, but I might be willing to change that.

And for anyone who thinks I'm a big wuss for watching AI, just wait until you see Trip's next post.

No comments: